This Day in History: 1869-11-03
Our Lady of Mount Carmel, The Roman Catholic Church, at Harwich opposite Cox’s Pond was officially opened by Archbishop Manning on the 3rd November 1869 at a cost of £13,000.
The church suffered damage during the wars and the end came in January 1953 when the church was flooded with 6 feet of water. An inspection of the church found the building was beyond economic repair, the church remained empty for many years until March 1962 when it was used as a car repair business, after the business closed the church, school and presbytery were all demolished to make way for a petrol filling station.