Landlords & Landladies


The Public House has been an important social institution since medieval times. As the authorities have always looked on pubs with some degree of suspicion, regarding them as potential centres for dissension, drunkenness, and disorder.

Over the centuries hundreds of thousands of people have run pubs. Indeed it stills remains an ambition for many a drinker, although few realise how hard the work is.

Harwich & Dovercourt Victuallers Association (1964).

Harwich & Dovercourt Victuallers Association (1964).

Many children followed their parents into running pubs, Girls started as barmaids or working in the kitchen, while boys became potboys or ostlers. It was extremely common for publicans, particularly in smaller establishments, to work only part-time, Combining running a bar with other work. During the day running the pub was left in the hands of his wife and other members of the family. a number of women also ran pubs, often taking over on the death of their husbands or fathers.

 

The Site lists original content on Pub History Census and Trade Directory entries from the Post Office, Kelly’s and Pigots Trade Directories, and has entries up until 1937.

If there is not an entry for a year, it is because I do not have this information. please help us to complete the data.

Alma Inn / Alma Dining Rooms

25 Kings Head Street, Harwich.

Arthur Chambers

Arthur Chambers

  • 1862-1867 William Hammond
  • 1872-1883 Thomas Jennings
  • 1884-1886 John Guy
  • 1887-1888 Alfred Hallums
  • 1889-1895 James Ward
  • 1904-1905 John Stanton
  • 1906-1913 Thomas Reed
  • 1914-1923 John Reed
  • 1925-1925 Alfred Johnson
  • 1926-1933 Henry William Aldridge
  • 1932-1954 William Chambers
  • 1954-1987 Arthur Chambers
  • 1987-1990 Alan & Pat Markham
  • 1990-1991 Clive & Jane ?
  • 1991-1992  Norman & June Moore
  • 1992-1997 Richard Watts & Susan Gibson

 

  • 1999-2007 Stephen Clark & Saidie Reader
  • 2007-2009 Kelly Francis & David Connolly
  • 2010-         Nick May

William James Chambers  before coming to Harwich in 1933 he used to operate one of the first motor buses on the Orford-Ipswich route. He also took over a Royal Mail contract in horse and cart, operating from Orford to Campsea Ashe.

He was licensee of the Alma Inn for 20 years and had been the Royal Hotel licensee for 12 years.

Arthur Chambers family came to Harwich due to the talk about the Development of Bathside bay, his father then took over the Alma in 1932 at the time nearly all of the publicans were pensioners, the family went onto be connected with the Alma up to 1987.

 

Anchor Hotel

Stour Road, Bathside.

Dennis Noseley

Dennis Noseley

  • 1870-1894 James Spracklin
  • 1898-1900 Frederick Ward
  • 1908-1917 Charles Lewis Hills
  • 1922-1929 William Harvey
  • 1933-1937 Kate Harvey
  •         -1953 Pearl Lofts
  • 1953-1966 Dennis Noseley
  • 1967-         Tom Doran
  • 1970’s        Ollie Marston
  • 1982-1987 Tony & Iris Partridge
  • 1987-1988 Peter & Irene McDonald
  • 1988-1989 Alan & Florena ?
  • 1989-1992 George & Jill King

 

  • 1993-         George & Maria Newberry
  •                   Bill & Andree Race
  • 1997-         Ray & Karen Baldry
  •                   Wayne Rampling

Trading from 1875 the Anchor was once the centre of the community, the Hotel was used to hold many functions and was a popular venue for weddings. It closed in 2004 and has since been demolished.

Angel Inn

Kings Quay Street, Harwich.

Alfred Kendall

Alfred Kendall

  • 1791-1823 Joseph Clark
  • 1823-1829 Mary Ann Rowland
  • 1832-1841 Ann Rowland
  • 1845-1848 Daniel Grigson
  • 1848-1855 Alexander Young
  • 1855-1861 J. Lewis
  • 1861-1862 John Watson
  • 1862-1871 Maria Watson
  • 1874-1878 Robert Lewis
  • 1878-1892 William Carter
  • 1906-1922 Henry Tyrell Dawson
  • 1925-1933 Harry Taylor
  • 1937-         Lilly H Kettle
  • 1951-1953 Herbert Marshall
  • 1953-1953 Horace Bush
  • 1953-1974 Alfred Kendal

 

  •         -1986 Laurence Smith
  • 1986-1988 Andrew & Donna Patterson
  • 1988-2000 Mike & Julie Kirk

The building was sold to the Milsom group in 2000 and restored as an annexe to the Pier hotel.

The Sudden death on Monday 13th June 1862 of Mr James Watson the landlord of the Angel Inn, he had been ailing, but nothing serious was apprehended, he was taken suddenly worse and died, it is supposed from the effects of a diseased heart.

British Flag

57 West Street, Harwich.

Mark & Di Taylor

  • 1851-1867 Simeon Edmonds
  • 1870-1874 James Chatten
  • 1878-1881 John Carrington
  • 1881-1898 Frederick Kettle
  • 1898-1907 Ernest Knights
  • 1908-1910 Joseph Sherman
  • 1911-1914 Thomas William Stevens
  • 1917-1922 Mary Ann Amelia Stevens
  • 1923-1937 Horace Harry Stewart Tootell
    1937-1947 Claude Whitnall
  • 1947-1984 Lydia Whitnall
  • 1984-         Roy & Eileen Hopkins
  • 1988-         Dave & Joan Lammas
  • 2001-        Alan Robinson & Christine Simpson
  •       -2015  Lee & Cindy Campbell
  • 2015-        Mark & Di Taylor

 

  • Lydia Whitnallwas born in 1920, appropriately in the British Flag pub. Her Grandfather had been licensee of the British Flag since 1890 and her mother since 1923.

    She attended the Esplanade School until she was seven and the Main Road School, leaving at fourteen.

    After school she stayed at home and helped behind the scenes in the pub, but at eighteen she was allowed to start serving at the bar. She was married from the pub in 1944 and raised four children in the pub. She took over the licence of the pub in 1947 when her father died and ran the pub for the next 37 years.

Coach and Horses

2 Church Street, Harwich.

David Miller - Coach & Horses

David Miller – Coach & Horses

  • 1822-1829 Samuel Lucas
  • 1832-1839 Elizabeth Lucas
  • 1841-1846 Samuel Chittock
  • 1848-1862 William Read
  • 1867-1870 James Buck
  • 1870-1872 Daniel White Howard
  • 1874-1886 William Gooding
  • 1890-1895 Jonathan Gooding
  • 1898-1910 Robert Martin
  • 1912-1917 William Newman
  • 1922-1925 Alfred Reeman
  • 1925-1927 Bernard D. Harvey
  • 1927           George Clover
  • 1931           Albert Lichard Newell
  • 1931-1932 William H. Morgan
  • 1933-1934 Henry Oliver
  • 1934-1936 David Miller

 

The Coach & Horses closed 1936, and was once a showroom for Harwich Radio and Cycle Supplies, today it forms part of a private residence.

Duke of Edinburgh /The Billy/William V

65 West Street, Harwich.

Anne & Edward Ellis

Anne & Edward Ellis

  • 1832-1839 James Pain
  • 1845-1863 James Woods
  • 1867-1870 Charles Warren
  • 1870-1872 Robert Barnes
  • 1874-1886 Robert Martin
  • 1890-1891 Sophia Laws
  • 1894-1900 William Jasper
  • 1902-1909 Harry King
  • 1910-1913 Edgar Thomas Bryant
  • 1914-1926 Harry Joseph Samuel Balls
  • 1929-1933 William Beisley
  • 1933-         Frederick Hemsley
  • 1948-1951 Ernest Richardson
  • 1952-         C Jones
  • 1954-1967 Edward & Anne Ellis
  • 1967-1980 Harry & Margaret Shean

 

  • 1986-1988 Alan & Mandy ?
  • 1988-2000 Sylvia & Alan Todd
  • 2000-2001 Michelle Barrowcliffe & Heidi Broom
  • 2001-2010 Dean & Jolene Bull

The Billy closed in 2010 the pub had previously been called the Harwich Arms, William the Fourth and the Duke of Edinburgh.

William Jasper was born in Rotherhithe the son of Henry Jasper  & Ann Gardiner. He was married three times, they initially lived in London before moving to Middlesbrough William died 18 Feb 1902 in Long Ditton Surrey. For the majority of his life William was a Boilermaker & this is the occupation that is cited on his death certificate. However both his children George & Edith gave his occupation as either Publican or Innkeeper on their marriage certificates.

Dukes Head

22 Church Street, Harwich.

William Ingram

William & Kit Ingram

  • 1791-1823 Richard Cork
  • 1823-1838 Robert Pooley Feller
  • 1839-1841 Margaret Feller
  • 1841-1841 John Pinner
  • 1841-1845 Elizabeth Stebbing
  • 1845-1847 John Pinner
  • 1848-1851 Edgar Alexander
  • 1851-1855 Eliza Mullett
  • 1855-1873 Francis Claxton
  • 1874-1877 John Tye
  • 1878-1882 William Jacklin

 

  •         -1885 Charles Burroughs
  • 1885-1905 Diana Burroughs
  • 1906-1921 Thomas Jennings
  • 1922-1925 William Bates
  • 1925-1929 Thomas Dyer
  • 1929-          Frank D. Dyer
  • 1941-1942  Ernie & Norah Richardson
  • 1951-1952  Albert Rowland
  • 1952-1953 William Merchant
  • 1953-1971 William & Kit Ingram

Last Orders. 6th June 1971. Sunday night was a time for present giving, mixed with songs, merriment and memories at the Duke’s Head. The pub, which has been run by William & Kitty Ingram for the past 18 years, closed its doors for the last time.  

To Mrs Ingram, her husband, and the Duke’s Head “regulars” it was a sad occasion, Yet they put a bold face on it and held a week of farewell parties, culminating in the big close down on Sunday night to the strains of “Auld Lang Syne”.

Both Kit and her husband received gifts, which showed how much they had been appreciated at the Duke. “I thought I would weep, but I didn’t said Kit.

 

Duke of Norfolk. / Privateer

13 Kings Quay Street, Harwich.

  • 1832-1938 Jonathan Gardiner
  • 1839-1844 William Ragen
  • 1845-1851 Benjamin Branch
  • 1851-1863 James Peachy
  • 1867-1870 John Huff
  • 1870-1872 Abraham Lloyd
  • 1874-1879 Alexander McMillan
  • 1879-1881 William Newson
  • 1881-1887 Joseph Earney
  • 1891-1894 William Carr
  • 1895-1901 Frederick Martin
  • 1902-1915 Frederick Tann

In 1930 the building was stripped of its antique features and the building was finally demolished in 1947.

Duke of Wellington

18 Kings Quay Street, Harwich.

Rose & Stan Greenwood

  • 1848-1850 William Ragn
  • 1851-1851 Thomas Denney
  • 1851-1877 James Morley
  • 1878-1889 George Sillitoe
  • 1890-1891 Louisa Sillitoe
  • 1891-1893 Minnie Sillitoe
  • 1894-1897 Henry Honey
  • 1898-1901 William Brown
  • 1902-1925 Frank Stanley Greenwood
  • 1929-1932 Arthur J. Mouser
  • 1933-1937 Harry Browns
  • 1937-         Arthur Lionel Todd

 

Bill Chambers

  • 1951-1953 Bill Chambers
  • 1954-         Chris Hart
  • 1955-1959 Eddie Baker
  • 1968-         Charles & Ruby Burgess
  • 1970’s        Jennie & Pete Smith
  • 1987-1989 Tony & Sue Short
  • 1989-1990 Tony & Lynn Lidster
  • 1990-1991  Adam & Dennis ?
  • 1991-1991   Jona ?
  • 1992-1993  Mark Janda
  • 1993-1995  “Closed”

 

Frank Stanley Greenwood (known as Stan) was born at Stutton in Suffolk in 1879. His father William Bowler Greenwood was a well-known butcher in the area, with several shops in Harwich and Walton, and in the eighteen-eighties was also licensee of the Cricketers public house in Manningtree, now known as the Crown.

At the time of his marriage to Rose Callow in 1901, Stan was manager of the Ordnance Hotel in Felixstowe,  he took over the licence of the Wellington soon after, and kept it until Rose died in 1927.

  • Elephant and Castle/Welcome Sailor/Haywain/Mariners/Shakers

11 West Street, Harwich.

Albert Gartland

Albert Gartland

  • 1862-1867 Joseph Allen Cross
  • 1867-1870 James Etherden
  • 1870-1872 John Morris
  • 1874-1879 James Downes
  • 1881-1903 John Smith
  • 1906-1918 Frank Garton
  • 1922-1926 George Baker
  • 1929-1951 Horace F. Goldsmith
  •         -1956  William Culley
  • 1950’s         Albert Gartland
  • 1960s’         Donald Dalby
  • 1962-          Fred Hinton

 

  • 1970’s        Tom Carney
  •         -1980 Joseph & Margaret Carney
  • 1980-1982 **Closed**
  • 1982-         Peter Smy & David Lewsy
  • 1985-         Tom & Pat Bishop
  •         -2009 Bill Milligan
  • 2009-         Becky Gawn

Previously known as the Golden Lion, Welcome Sailor, it was Re-built in 1896 and renamed Elephant & Castle until its closure in 1979. The pub reopened in 1985 as The Haywain, and in 2002 as the Mariners.

Foresters Arms

5 Church Street, Harwich.

Fred Barwood.

  • 1867-1870 Elijah Race
  • 1871-1873 Henry Bateman
  • 1874-1879 Mary Ann Bateman
  • 1881-1913 Daniel Barwood
  • 1914-1925 Harriett Barwood
  • 1925-1941 Frederick C. Barwood
  • The Foresters Arms was an ale house from 1800 to 1941, Three generations of Barwood’s kept the pub before serious damaged by incendiaries forced them out in World War II.
  • After Daniel Barwood’s death, his widow Harriet was the licensee from 1914 until 1925. From 1925 until its closure in 1941 due to war damage, Frederick was licensee, when Foresters closed, he moved to the Golden Lion and was licensee there until 1950. Foresters was restored in 1953 by Winifred Cooper, MBE, President of The Harwich Society, it remained her home for nearly 50 years.

It is now the headquarters of The Harwich Society

Globe

5 Kings Quay Street, Harwich.

Terry Creek

Terry Creek

  • 1791-1822 Robert Grisnett
  • 1823-1846 John Etherden
  • 1848-1875 Robert Orvis
  • 1878-1903 William Kettle
  • 1906-1918 Albert Lake
  • 1922-1934 Ethel Phillips
  • 1937-         James Phillips
  • 1951-1953 Ronald Monks
  • 1957-1959 Wilson Hailey
  • 1959-1977 Arthur & Iris Andrews
  • 1977-1980 Gordon & Valerie Bray
  • 1978-1980 John & Kate Verrall
  • 1980-          Brian & Margaret Allen
  • 1985-1987  Allan Wiltshire
  • 1987-1988  Tony & Gill Cutter
  • 1988-1990 Keith & Margaret Shakesbury
  • 1990-1992 Jack & Dorothy ?

 

  • 1992-1993  Steve & Angela Baker
  • 1993-          Gayle & Chris ?
  • 1993-1998 *Closed*
  • 1998-2003 John & Terry Creek
  • 2003-         Steve Woolard & Tracy Bailey

The Globe was the town’s oldest surviving pub. It began trading in 1753 when it was owned by Cobbold,who sold it at auction in 1837. after a short period of closure, it is trading as a popular pub again .

Golden Lion/Smugglers/Blazers/Treo’s Bar

17-18 George Street, Harwich.

  • 1823-1824 William Weights
  • 1828-1829 Thomas Galer
  • 1867-1870 Henry Mangin
  • 1871-1877 Henry Barnes Figgures
  • 1878-1883 Annie Leatherland
  • 1886-1899 Joseph Halls
  • 1890-1896 Robert Martin
  • 1899-1903 John Fleming
  • 1906-1909 Ernest Alfred Knight
  • 1910-1918 James Slater
  • 1922-1924 Amy Slater
  • 1925-1928 Frank Miles
  • 1929-1934 Robert Last
  • 1937-         William Nunn
  • 1941-1950 Frederick Barwood
  •                   Fred & Mabel Dean
  •                   Mrs Shrive
  • 1950’s       Alfie Mealing
  • 1960’s       Tom Howard
  • 1968-         Arnold Johnson
  • 1970-         Charles Jackson
  • 1985-1987 John & Sam Walls
  • 1987-         Steve & Emma?
  • 1988-1989 Paul & Beverley ?
  • 1989-         Lawrence & Jacqueline
  • 2008-         George & Jayne Priestnall

William Weights was landlord from 1823-1824 and from 1827 he had taken over the Kings Head in Market St. William died around 1828.

Great Eastern Railway Hotel

The Quay, Harwich.

  • 1867-1869 Thomas Bolton
  • 1870-1872 James Bellamy
  • 1874-1877 Lizzie Bellamy
  • 1878-1883 Thomas Bolton
  • 1886-1889 John Grew
  • 1890-1891 Arthur George King
  • 1891-1891 John Cookson
  • 1891-1893 Frederick Dunsford
  • 1894-1896 Frederick Rees
  • 1898-1915 Henry Christian Thomas
  • 1917-1926 L. Sydney Smith
  • 1926-1933 A. Ryan

The Great Eastern Hotel opened on the 12th July 1865. after losing trade after Parkeston Quay opened, and, after previous temporary closures, the hotel was eventually closed for good in 1933.

Half Moon

15 St. Austin’s Lane, Harwich.

  • 1791-1822 Daniel Maldon
  • 1823-1829 John Brown
  • 1832-1938 John Godbold
  • 1839-1854 Joseph Hunwick
  • 1855-1861 Mrs E Hunwick
  • 1862-1863 Joseph Charles Hunwick
  • 1863-1866 Edward Gaskin
  • 1867-1872 Abraham Garling
  • 1874-1879 Mary Pryor
  • 1881-1887 William Dowling
  • 1890-1896 Mary Ann Dowling
  • 1898-1900 George Francis Read
  • 1902-1905 Herbert William Jessop
  • 1906-1907 William Good
  • 1908-1909 Charles Earle I ‘Anson
  • 1910-1915 James Harvey
  • 1917-1921 Ernest William Paine
  • 1922-1926 Frederick Goodchild
  • 1929-1934 Edward Ellis
  • 1937-          Charles Songer Manford
  •                    Florence Watson
  • 1951-          Alfred E Driscoll
  •         -1973  Albert Copeland

Known to have been trading in 1753, The Half Moon closed its doors in the 1960s before becoming Half Moon Antiques for some thirty years. Today it trades as the Thai Up The Quay Restaurant. 

Hannover Inn

65 Church Street, Harwich.

George Bernard

George Bernard

  • 1888-1910 William Lawrence
  • 1910-1925 Harriet Dorman
  • 1925-         Fred Hockley
  • 1939-1941 Ernie & Norah Richardson
  • 1951-         Winifred E. Rudland
  • 1963-1974 George Bernard
  • 1974-1984  Graham Richardson
  • 1984-1986  Brian & Carol Dean
  • 1986-2016  Barry Mackness
  • 2016-          Robert & Teresa Ranson

James Henry Lawrence was born 20th May 1862 in Harwich, James was the eldest surviving son of William Lawrence born 1834 in Aspall, Suffolk and Laura long born 1834 in Harwich. His parents William and Laura ran the Hannover Square Dining rooms.

 

 

Harwich Arms

43 Kings Quay Street, Harwich

  • 1823-1826 Francis Lord
  • 1827-1861 Joseph Edwards
  • 1862-1866 William Beaumont

William Tyrrell Beaumont was born in Harwich on 2nd October, 1847. The 1851 Census shows the 3 year old William Tyrrell living at 41 Church Street, Harwich, with his mother Maria and father William, who was then listed as a carpenter. Ten years later, the 1861 Census, shows that the family has moved to the Harwich Arms where father William is shown as a Carpenter and Victualler. whilst still at the Harwich Arms Inn, William (Snr.) passed away on 26th July 1866.

Kings Head

8 Market Street, Harwich.

Edward Paine

  • 1791-1821 Jacob Bond
  • 1822-1826 William Garred
  • 1827-1831 William Waights
  • 1832-1847 Sarah Waights
  • 1848-1861 George Waights
  • 1862-1866 Matilda Waights
  • 1867-1869 William Lodge
  • 1870-1877 John Hucks
  • 1878-1880 Richard Edward Manhood
  • 1881-1889 Edward Paine
  • 1890-1891 Samuel Cracknell
  • 1891-1893 Henrietta Cracknell
  • 1894-1916 Frederick William Chambers
  • 1917-1924 Jack Simpson
  • 1925-1928 Charles Agar
  • 1929-         Frederick William Goodchild

 

Edward Paine moved to Harwich from Tollesbury where his parents also ran the pub called the King’s Head. His dad was called William Pain and his mother Rosetta continued to run it until there was a robbery and her daughter and son in law took over the Tollesbury pub.

William Weights was landlord from 1827 before his death in around 1828, the Kings Head was then run by William’s second wife Sarah, her daughter Sophia Amelia Waights was a barmaid, and had a 7 month old child also called Amelia. Two female servants, a pot man and three lodgers also lived at the Kings Head in 1841.

By 1848 I believe that Sarah had married Mr Pilbrow. She seems to have left her daughter in the care of brother George Bridge Waights who took over The Kings Head,his niece Amelia was a barmaid.

By the 1861 census and  1862  Directory, George had died (1860) and his widow Amelia ran the Kings Head with help at the bar from Amelia.

Lifeboat Inn

34 Kings Head Street, Harwich.

  • 1862-1868 Edward Saxby
  • 1871-1875 Susannah Saxby
  • 1878-1882 William Edward Duffy
  • 1886-1890 Walter Sealey
  • 1890-1918 Frederick Cooper Neale
  • 1922-1924 Elizabeth Neale
  • 1925-1932 George Gilchrist
  • 1933-1937 Jessie Ross
  • 1937-         George Bertram Keeling
  • 1951-         Charles R H Ross
  •                   James Curly

The Lifeboat Inn, known prior to 1877 as the Red, White and Blue. it was owned by Cobbolds until 1869 when it was sold by auction to Charrington Nicoll for £640. The name of the pub was to change to the Lifeboat in 1878 and was demolished during the 1950’s as part of the redevelopment scheme. 

Little Eastern

11 George Street, Harwich.

  • 1867-1903 Henry Dawson
  • 1906-1918 Arthur Welham
  • 1922-1927 Frank Calver
  • 1929-1932 George Luckett
  • 1933-1936 B. E. Lewis
  • 1937-         George B Keeling
  • 1952-         Bertram C Keeling

The Little Eastern had undertaken some improvements in the 1914-18 War period, but  finally closed in 1952 and was later demolished. 

London Tavern

21 Church Street, Harwich.

  • 1862-1870 William Turner Thistleton
  • 1871-1873 Charles Vincent
  • 1874-1905 John Osborne
  • 1906-1913 Herbert Booth
  • 1914-1922 Hector J. Francis

The London Tavern was owned from 1870 until 1878 by the trustees of John Pattrick and traded as an ale-house. It was purchased by the Co-operative Society, who ran it as a pub and drapery store. In 1919 the pub was closed and the Co-operative society decided to build a new one opposite. The building is now a private residence.

New Bell Inn/The Bell

Market Place, Harwich.

George Cullingford

George Cullingford

  • 1791-1823 Mrs Randfield
  • 1823-1833 Robert Roundfield
  • 1839-1855 Grace Beeston
  • 1862-1867 Simon Munson
  • 1867-1882 Edward Paine
  • 1886-1890 John Osborne
  • 1890-1891 William Pearce
  • 1894-1898 George Cullingford
  • 1898-1902 Samuel Harris
  • 1906-1908 Michael Walsh
  • 1908-1910 Benjamin Colthorpe
  • 1910-1912 William T. Beaumont
  • 1912-1914 John Simpson
  • 1917-1922 William Frederick Wade
  • 1925-1937 Joseph Gleed Smith
  •                    Alex Vernon Smith

 

Mark Stansall

Mark Stansall

  • 1951-          Mabel A Smith
  • 1959-          Mr & Mrs Rolfe
  • 1962-1969  Frank Miller
  • 1967-1977  Mark Stansall
  • 1977-          Stuart Johnson
  • 1981-1982  Ron & Doris Flight
  • 1982-1995  Don & Pam Colcomb
  • 1995-2003  Pam Colcomb
  • 2003-2015  Richard & Sue Watts
  • 2015-          Kevin Spellacey & Pamela Fox

George Cullingford’s main occupation was a master mariner but he was registered as the landlord of the New Bell between 1894- 1898. In those days a lot of the publicans had other main jobs 2 of his daughters were chambermaids at the Pier Hotel.

 

 

Packett Inn/The Smack/Eagle Pacquet Boat

42 West Street, Harwich.

  • 1791-1822 John Clark
  • 1823-1840 Edward Webber
  • 1841-1842 Martha Webber
  • 1841-1844 Thomas Webber
  • 1845-1851 Martha Webber
  • 1851-1861 Sophia Webber
  • 1862-1869 George Haddow
  • 1870-1873 William Law
  • 1874-1885 Charles Burroughs
  • 1886-1889 Sophia Cowell
  • 1890-1897 David Rudler
  • 1898-1916 Ellen Rudler
  • 1917-1921 Edith Murphy
  • 1922-1924 Frank R. Guymer
  • 1925-1928 George Tushingham Hazelwood
  • 1929-1933 William J. Monks
  • 1933-1937 Stephen Kish
  • 1937-1951 George Kidd
  • 1951-         Florence Watson
  •                    Emily Sealey

Charles Burroughs is shown as either a stone dredger or mariner in all the census from 1851 to 1871 but in 1881 is shown as Licensed Victualler at the Packet Inn. He married Diane Shilling in Lymington, Hampshire in Q4 of 1867.

Pier Hotel

The Quay, Harwich.

Pier Hotel (1973)

Pier Hotel (1973)

  • 1862-1880 John Brice
  • 1881-1889 William Rule
  • 1890-1891 John Charles Griffiths
  • 1891-1893 Frederick Dunsford
  • 1894-1897 Edward W. Messitter
  • 1898-         Arthur E King
  • 1898-1901 Thomas Jenkins
  • 1902-1907 Jane Dale
  • 1908-1910 William Baker Firman
  • 1910-1912 John William Bosworth
  • 1912-1923 Joseph Gleed Smith
  • 1923-1925 Mr Garton
  • 1925-1938 Thomas Clare Collins
  • 1939-1953 Emily Hardiman
  • 1953-1958 Frank & Dorothy Palmer
  • 1958-1972 Geoffrey Vernon Smith
  • 1972-1974 Keith & Audrey brown

 

  • 1974-1976 Brian & Tina Palmer
  • 1976-1978 Patrick Huggins
  • 1978-1978 Richard Wheeler – Milsom Group
  • 1978-1981 Jim Sarton
  • 1981-         Chris Oakley
  • 1991-         Stephen Carter

Frederick Dunsford was born in Devon, and between 1841 and 1851 moved from Clyst, Devon first to London, and then to Chingford Essex. his mother (Ann Cockayne) was from Derbyshire. Frederick ran the Pier Hotel in Harwich for a fairly short period from 1891-1893.

Prince of Wales

18 West Street, Harwich.

  • 1867-1880 John Andrews
  • 1881-1885 Samuel Carrington
  • 1886-1890 Sophia Carrington
  • 1891-1901 Thomas Crane
  • 1902-1905 Charles Leggett
  • 1906-1908 James Woolnough
  • 1908-1908 Edward William Paine

Trading from 1684 as a beer house, sold by Daniels Brewery in 1908 and converted in to a shop and later as council accommodation. Today its private dwellings.

Railway Tavern

10 George Street, Harwich.

Charles R.Salter

Charles R.Salter

  • 1874-1911 Charles R.Salter
  • 1912-1913 Kate E.Salter
  • 1914-1924 Ernest George Hughes
  • 1925-1951 George R. H. Palmer
  • 1952          James Curley

Mrs Emily Cook was born in the old Railway Tavern in 1886,
The tavern was owned by her father Charles Salter and was the Scene of many gatherings. Fisherman would play quoits and have half pints of ale after a day on the water, her  father furnished supplies to the Great Eastern ships; Capt Precious of the ill-fated Berlin would stay at the Railway Tavern when ashore in England.

 

Royal Oak

22 Market Street, Harwich.

  • 1791-1821 Thomas Cole
  • 1822-1826 Abraham Barter
  • 1827-1831 John Burton
  • 1832-1838 Sarah Burton
  • 1839-1844 Thomas Denney
  • 1845-1850 Joseph Burrell
  • 1851-1854 Mary Burrell
  • 1855-1869 Samuel Cross
  • 1870-1874 Alfred Lambert
  • 1874-1880 John Pratt
  • 1881-1885 John Nichols
  • 1886-1899 William Hepper
  • 1890-1891 Colchester Brewery Company
  • 1891-1893 William Long
  • 1894-1897 John Manning
  • 1898-1928 Walter Gosling
  • 1929-1932 John Smith

Licensee Mr John Smith applied for renewal of the pubs licence in 1932 but was turned down on the grounds that the King’s Head and the Royal Oak were to closely situated and the licence was not renewed. The pub closed in March 1932 and is now a Private Residence.

Royal Hotel

43 Kings Quay Street, Harwich.

  • 1870-1877 Charles Miller
  • 1878-1880 Dick Ham
  • 1881-1893 Thomas Raven
  • 1894-1897 Emma Raven
  • 1898-1905 Bernard Asplen
  • 1906-1907 George A. Linstead
  • 1908-1921 Charles Edwin Everitt
  • 1922-1927 George Hearn

Built circa 1866 on the site of the former ‘Harwich Arms’ , the pub was sold in 1927 and became the Royal Flats.

The Ship/ Ye Old Ship Inn

3 Kings Quay Street, Harwich.

Laurence W.Pells.

Laurence W.Pells.

  • 1791-1822 Jacob Squirrell
  • 1823-1826 Francis Hiblett
  • 1827-1847 James Leabon
  • 1848-1863 Thomas Ennels
  • 1863-1870 Thomas Ennels jnr
  • 1870-1877 Eliza Ennels
  • 1878-1881 Laurence William Pells
  • 1882-1885 Charles Robert Salter
  • 1886-1889 William Hodge
  • 1890-1891 James Thomas Burgess
  • 1891-1894 Walter Young
  • 1894-1897 Henry Davenport
  • 1898-1905 George Robert Lilley
  • 1906-1911 Joseph Weavers
  • 1912-1916 Henry William Easter
  • 1917-1925 Tom Button
  • 1951           Frank Orvis

 

The Ship, so it appears, was not its original name. Charrington Nicoll leased it in 1910,but Cobbold took over the lease and finally closed it around 1927. it was later used as a tearoom, bookshop, and a sweetshop. It was restored in the 1970s and  became a gift shop and then a restaurant as it remains today.

Spread Eagle/ The Star

74 West Street, Harwich.

Vi Harris

Vi Harris

  • 1791-1822 John Death
  • 1823-1926 James Bull
  • 1827-1831 Charles Joyce
  • 1832-1840 Mary Joyce
  • 1841-1844 Harriet Robinson
  • 1845-1847 Mary Joyce
  • 1848-1861 William Rumsey
  • 1862-1882 Louisa Rumsey
  • 1882-1885 Joseph Henry Kersey
  • 1886-1893 Lewis Tovell
  • 1894-1905 Louis Tovell
  • 1906-1909 Jane Tovell
  • 1910-1916 James Ernest Eaton
  • 1917-1924 Charles Edward Hills
  • 1925-1927 Arthur B. Heron
  • 1927-1936 John Robert Kidney
  • 1937-         George John Baker

 

  • 1940-1941 James Charles Callaghan Bates
  • 1941-1948 James Henderson
  • 1950-1960 Augustus & Vi Harris
  • 1961-1971 Minnie & Bert Turner

Between 1684 and 1860 it was known as the Star. The Spread Eagle was regarded as the town’s oldest pub. In 1914 its proprietor Mr Charles Hills applied for permission to re-build the premises as a modern ‘Mock Tudor’ establishment. the Council approved the plan but it was never carried out. The pub closed in 1971.

Stingray/ Wheatsheaf

56 Church Street, Harwich.

Jim Taylor

Jim Taylor

  • 1937-           Harry G. Edwards
  • 1937-1970   Jim Taylor
  • 1970-           Pat Hempstead
  • 1974-           Pamela Ingram
  • 1980’s         George & Sheila Dixon
  •          -2002 Andy & Mo
  • 2002-          Jamie Shrive **Present**

George Dixon and his wife Sheila (Stingray). George had a somewhat dubious past when he came here from London, he was a great boss to work for. He had a heart of gold. Every Christmas he would arrange a party for the kids of Harwich and dress up as Santa. All the kids got great presents. He also helped out poor families (something he never advertised, just done it quietly.

 

Swan/New Swan/The Ship/The Crown

14 Kings Head Street, Harwich.

  • 1791-1822 John Leabon
  • 1823-1826 James Leabon
  • 1827-1831 William Dixon
  • 1832-1838 Phillip Hucks
  • 1839-1847 William Haxell
  • 1848-1869 James Pinner
  • 1870-1877 William Jacklin
  • 1878-1893 Edward Long
  • 1894-1897 Elizabeth Long
  • 1898-1905 David Prime
  • 1905-1908 George Cooper

After leaving the Swan, William Jacklin went on to run the Duke’s Head in Church Street from 1878 through to sometime after 1882.

Three Cups

64 Church Street, Harwich.

Ricky & Kim Good

Ricky & Kim Good

  • 1791-1822 Abraham Hinde
  • 1823-1831 William Bull
  • 1832-1869 Ann Bull
  • 1870-1875 Joseph Leech Bull
  • 1875-1889 John Bull
  • 1890-1897 John Tye
  • 1898-1901 John Broadbent
  •                    F.A.Bray
  • 1906-1907 Carnie & Cartmale
  • 1908-1913 Thomas West Carnie
  • 1914-1921 Bertie Edward Bussey
  • 1922-1928 Alice Maud Dorton
  • 1929-1937 William G. Kitson
  • 1937-          Edmond Charles Jules Guignard

 

  • 1951-1981 Albert Keeble
  • 1981-1990 Ricky & Kim Good
  • 1990-1992 Lance & Trevor ?
  • 1992-1994 Karen ?
  • 1994-1995 George ?

Swiss born Mr Edmond Charles Jules Guignard learned his profession in the school of J.Lyons and co. he came up from London with savings and invested them in The Three Cups.

Herbert Dorton married Alice Maude Mary Bird in 1899 who, as Alice Maude Dorton later ran the Three Cups Hotel in Harwich from 1922 until 1928.

Three Cups Tap

Kings Quay St, Harwich

1862-             William Haxell

 

White Hart Inn

3 George Street, Harwich.

WB1

William Blizard

  • 1791-1821 George White
  • 1822-1838 William Blizard
  • 1839-1844 Isaac Nicholls
  • 1845-1854 Richard Coppinger
  • 1855-1861 J. Smith
  • 1862-1866 Susan Catherine Harrison
  • 1867-1870 Henry Cole
  • 1870-1880 George King
  • 1880-1885 Isaac Charles Pratt
  • 1886-1901 George Mercer
  • 1902-1905 Richard Miller
  • 1906-1913 Joseph George Bragg Sprake
  • 1914-1928 Alfred Goodall
  • 1929-1936 John H. Birch
  • 1937-         Herbert Watkinson
  •                    Albert Marshall
  •                    Mrs Shrive

 

**Picture from a Painting donated by Mrs Betty Newnham**

Richard Miller, Richard’s father was an agricultural labourer on a farm in Dovercourt but Richard went into the navy, probably lying about his age when he joined. At some point he went to Ireland where he met his wife and started a family, and somewhere along the line he transferred to the coastguards. He finished his time as a coastguard in Dorset and became a hotel keeper in Bridport. He subsequently moved back to Harwich and ran the White Hart.

He died in 1914 when he was living in Palmers Green.

 

DOVERCOURT

Alexandra Hotel

Kingsway, Dovercourt.

Carl & Minna Kate Rosinsky

Carl & Minna Kate Rosinsky

  • 1903-          Frank Eden
  • 1906-1907  Albert Henry Thiem
  • 1908-1909  Unnamed
  • 1910-1916  Carl Rosinsky
  • 1917-1932   Unnamed
  • 1933-           S.E. & V.E. Dore
  • 1938            Arthur Moor
  • Officially opened on the 25th May 1903 with lunch for 120 guests entertained by a five piece Orchestra,the hotel was described as a ‘fine and handsome hotel’ and a ‘handsome and palatial building’.Designed in the Queen Anne style by Sherrin and situated in 3/4 acre of land overlooking the bay, the driving force behind the hotel was Thomas Moran. The opening luncheon for 120 guests was entertained by the five ladies of the Nell Gwynn orchestra. The Hotel  became the hub of civic and social activities during the First World War the “Alex” was a popular meeting place for navy officers often with their wives and families.

 

Bird in Hand

567 Main Road, Dovercourt.

Tom & Kitty Pepper with Betty Holbrook

Tom & Kitty Pepper with Betty Holbrook

  • 1871-1928 Robert Kettle
  • 1929-1937 Arthur Bloomfield
  • 1937-1938 Mrs E. M. Bloomfield
  • 1948-1959 Wally & Dolly Raven
  • 1963-         Bob & Joyce Caley
  • 1965-1969 Tom & Kitty Pepper
  • 1969-         Derek & Sylvia Gay
  •                   Frank Miller
  • 1970’s       Martyn Wood
  • 1978-         Pat & Pamela Huggins
  • 1983-1985 Susan & Ian Bradford
  • 1985-1992 Tony Tait
  • 1992-1994 John Tait
  • 1994-          Keith & Sue Kapcia
  •         -1997  Lee Mallett

 

Tom and Kitty Pepper, Tom was a keen but not very good stock car driver for a while, when they left to go to their daughters in San Francisco USA, they were followed at the Bird by Derek and Sylvia Gay.

 

Cliff Hotel

22 Marine Parade, Dovercourt.

Cliff Hotel

Cliff Hotel

  • 1862-1867 Henry Tyler
    1867-1870 Thomas Daniell
  • 1870-1874 James Warren
  • 1874-1878 Robert Guy
  • 1878-1881 William Johnston
  • 1881-1889 Frederick Loveridge
  • 1890-1897 Henry Warren
  • 1898-1901 George Thomas Wooldridge
  • 1902-1909 Handel Henrico Packer
  • 1910-1916 Emily Mary Jane Packer
  • 1917-1921 Mabel Garner-Parrot
  • 1922-1929 Charles Beresford
  • 1929-         Trust Houses Ltd
  • 1931-         Douglas Hutchins
  • 1961-1968 F.C.M. Meadows
  • 1981-         John Wade

 

 

The Cliff Hotel was purchased by the Dovercourt Cliff Hotel Co Ltd in 1883 and is still open today.

 

Devonshire Arms

1 Ramsey Road, Upper Dovercourt.

Mr & Mrs Noseley

Mr & Mrs Noseley

  • 1938-         Amelia Bye
  •                   William Ingram
  •                   William Marsh
  • 1950-1966 Harry and Elsie Smith
  • 1966-1976 Dennis Noseley
  • 1976-1978 Paul Stevens
  •                    Yvonne Frost
  • 1981-1984  Michael & Gillian Gale
  • 1984-1990 Terry & Ali Brown
  • 1990-1991 Terry Allan
  • 1991-1991  Bill & Eileen Edser
  • 1992-          Brian & June ?

The Devonshire Arms opened in April 1938 as the most modern hotel in the area, the pub was renamed the Devon in the new century.

 

In 2012 part of the premises was converted into a convenience store.

 

Kings Arms

178 High Street, Dovercourt.

Aubrey Taylor

Aubrey Taylor

  • 1828-1849 William Leopard
  • 1845-1847 Elizabeth Leopard
  • 1848-1854 William Osborn
  • 1855-1861 W. Matthews
  • 1862-1890 William S. Appleby
  • 1891-1892 William L. Appleby
  • 1892-1893 Maria Appleby
  • 1894-1901 Eliza Appleby
  • 1902-1938 Dick Haylett Appleby
  • 1952-         G.Meddick
  • 1964-1967 Aubrey Taylor
  • 1977-1983 Jim & Jean Hughes

 

 

 

Jo Sims & Jo Stokes

Jo Sims & Jo Stokes

  • 1984-1987 Alistair & Julie Campbell
  • 1987-1990  Jack & Joan Hoy
  • 1990-1992  Terry & Ali Brown
  • 1992-          Terry & Carol Newman
  • 2002-          Lee & Melissa Mallet
  • 2008-2013  Rob & Lesley Wood
  • 2013-2014  Hayley Robson & Michaela Fulleylove
  • 2014-2015  Steve Picton
  • 2015-          Jo Sims & Jo Stokes

 

 

The King’s Arms was trading as a coaching inn from 1753, when it was owned by Cobbold, and was a copyhold public house when sold in 1837. It was converted into a Hotel in 1864, and is still trading today.

Phoenix Hotel

Lower Marine Parade, Dovercourt.

Arthur Richards

Arthur Richards

  • 1867-1882 Raymond Howard
  • 1890-1897 Warren Ellis
  • 1898-1901 William Bowler Greenwood
  • 1902-1909 William Wright
  • 1910-1921 Fred William Everett
  • 1922-1938 Sarah Everett
  • 1938-1971 Arthur Richards
  • 1970’s        Dick & Val Preston.
  • 1974-         Geoff Hare
  •         -1983 Joseph & Jenny  Sharp
  • 1983-1984 John & Ruth Hart
  • 1984-1984 Martin & Marisa Hookham
  • 1984-2003 Terry & Carol Lindsell

Built in 1869 replacing the premises of the same name. The Phoenix was completely destroyed by fire shortly after midnight on Thursday morning 28th May 1914.

 

In 1985 the hotel was modernised and converted into a nightclub ‘Reflections’. Sadly this closed in 2003 and the Hotel has been demolished for housing.

 

Queen’s Hotel /Queen’s Head

119 High Street, Dovercourt.

Mr & Mrs Payne

Mr & Mrs Payne

  • 1791-1822 John Hatch
  • 1823-1829 John Mullet
  •          -1853 George Cook
  • 1862-1877 Robert Dickson
  • 1878-1885 Charles Edwards
  • 1886-1897 Charles Phipps
  • 1898-1901 George Phipps
  • 1902-1905 George Henry Inward
  • 1906-1911 Herbert Nicholson Dorton
  • 1912-1921 William Van Russell
  • 1922-1924 Charles Cully
  • 1925-1928 Alfred A. Fisher
  • 1929-1938 Daniel Baker
  • 1946-1956 Archie Wilson
  • 1967          Les Payne
  •                   G. Bird

 

  • 1988-1989 Pat & Peter Green
  • 1989-         Roy & Steph Skinner
  •                   Lee & Melissa Mallett
  • 2006-         Julie Ridgeon

Mary Brown (herself a licensed victualler with pubs in Bethnal Green and later, Mile End) was married to John Thomas Dorton. they had eight children, the youngest of whom was William Dorton (1849-1924).William had ten children, his second child being Herbert Nicholas Dorton (1872-1912), the licensed victualler who managed The Queen’s Head in Dovercourt from 1906-1911.

Royal Hotel

387 Main Road, Dovercourt.

Bill Chambers & Family

  • 1929-1932  Minna Kate Rosinsky
  • 1933-1937  Frank M. Nunn
  • 1937-          Ernest Cecil Brown
  •                    Reg & Molly Harris
  • 1939-1953  Bertie Bloom
  • 1953-1965 William Chambers
  • 1965-1983 James Chambers
  • 1983-1984 Jim & Jean Hughes
  • 1984-1985 Fay & Colin Andrews
  • 1985-         Peter & Pat Read
  • 1988-1991 Pat & Barry Binks
  • 1991-         Les & Dawn Adams
  •                   Sylvia Bartier

 

  • 1999-2006  Jane & Peter Welch
  •                     Andy Nudd
  •                     Greg Guiezeler

Built as a replacement for the Royal Hotel in Harwich, it became a favourite place to sit and enjoy a quick drink and a smoke with favoured friends and is still trading today.

Royal Oak

226 Main Road, Dovercourt.

Dal Hodgson

Dal Hodgson

  • 1828-1838 Edmund Osborn
  • 1839-1844 Mary Osborn
  • 1845-1847 William Osborn
  • 1848-1848 James Pilcher
  • 1849-1854 William Fidget
  • 1855-1861 James Hart
  • 1862-1866 Ann Hart
  • 1867-1873 William Gooding
  • 1874-1905 George Cullingham
  • 1906-1932 William Lawrence
  • 1933-1937 Henry S. Pearce
  • 1937-1059 George Howard Tovell
  • 1959-1975  Dal Hodgson
  • 1988-1992  Jeff Bird
  • 1992-2001  Gavin & Karen Rose
  • 2006-2008  Mick & Marlene Hales

 

  • 2008-2012  Matthew Campbell
  • 2012-          Alan & Maxine Lovett **Present**

Trading from 1873 as an alehouse owned by Alstons the brewers of Manningtree and later became a Daniels, Truman’s house. The Royal Oak is still trading today and is well known locally for its good food.

Trafalgar Inn

616 Main Road,Upper Dovercourt.

Malcolm & Pat Stevens

Malcolm & Pat Stevens

  • 1832-1838? Turpin
  • 1839-1844 Robert Brown
  • 1845-1861 David Keable
  • 1862-1866 John Ames
  • 1867-1874 George Rowland
  • 1874-1878 Timothy Pattison
  • 1878-1889 Joseph Charles Baldry
  • 1890-1913 William Alfred Gross
  • 1914-1921 William Nunn
  • 1922-1928 Arthur Welham
  • 1929-1933 Ethel Welham
  • 1933-1937 Victor Harvey Spencer
  • 1937-         Arthur Raymond Leigh-Lye
  • 1968          Harry Noaks
  •                   Dick Tunstall
  • 1976-1978 Malcolm & Pat Stevens

 

  • 1980’s        Ron & Pam Eldridge
  • 1983-2001 Pat Cockrill
  •                    Ben Storer
  • 2005-         Kevin Vinter

A fourteenth century coaching inn, the original building is believed to have been destroyed by fire at the time of the battle of Trafalgar. It is thought that the pub was converted from a row of cottages that once stood there. The ‘Traf’ was purchased in 2001 by Ridley’s the brewers, and remains the popular pub it has been over many years.

Victoria Hotel

Station Road, Dovercourt.

Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel

  • 1848-          Samuel Rackman
  • 1862-1867 Edward Orphin
  • 1867-1870 Henry Whyatt
  • 1870-1885 John Thomas Wilding
  • 1886-1889 William Stevens Darvell
  • 1890-1894 Thomas Williams
  • 1895-1901 William James Chittenden
  • 1902-1916 Frederick Whitehead
  • 1917-1928 Henry John Gooch
  • 1929-1932 Percy Henry Gooch
  • 1933-1937 Charles Edward Richards

 

  • 1937-         Edgar John Beasley
  • 1947-1953 William Ingram
  •                    Arthur Pitt
  •                    H.J.Gooch
  • 1956-         Archie Wilson
  • 1967-         Jeffrey Bird
  • 1977-         P.Searle
  • 1982-1993 John & Ruth Hart
  • 1993- 1994 Robert Borowski
  • 1994-           Alan & Maggie Pearle
  • Trading from 1861, the hotel caught Fire on the 25th June 2005 no one was inside the pub which was locked up for the night which lately had been open only rarely. The Hotel has since been demolished.

White Horse

487 Main Road, Dovercourt.

Jim & Lil Hakins

Jim & Lil Hakins

  • 1823-1832 John Davison
  • 1832-1838 William Vyler
  • 1839-1847 William Rumsey
  • 1848-1851 Samuel Sparrow
  • 1851-1861 Sarah and John Sparrow
  • 1862-1870 Samuel Freeman
  • 1870-1873 Henry Pettingale
  • 1874-1877 Thomas Cresswell
  • 1878-1885 Robert Angier
  • 1886-1890 John H. Langstone
  • 1890-1891 Charles Bedford
  • 1891-1894 Ernest Gan
  • 1894- 1901 Paul G. Todd
  • 1902-1905 John Hayter
  • 1906-1907 Charles Samuel Fletcher
  • 1908-1911 George Sidney Fletcher
  • 1912- 1921 Douglas Dorton

 

  • 1922-1928 Charles Lewis Hills
  • 1929-1933 John H. O’Toole
  • 1933-1938 William J. Hakins
  • 1968          Cyril & Grace Gray
  • 1970’s       John Cairns
  • 1984-1992 Dennis & June Morgan
  • 1992-1993 Bill & Heather Fisher
  • 1993-1994 Alan & Maggie Pearle
  • 1994-1995 Martin & Tracey
  • 1995-         Andy & Una ?
  • 1997-         Alan & Jenny East

The White Horse was previously known as the George. It was built on land owned by the Guild of St George, renamed the Great White Horse and was given the name the White Horse in the 1870’s. The White Horse has since been demolished and is now residential housing.

 

Parkeston

Garland Hotel/Captain Fryatt

65 Garland Road, Parkeston.

Harry Shean, Pat Hempstead, George Bernard.

Harry Shean, Pat Hempstead, George Bernard.

  • 1890-1893 William Halifax
  • 1894-1904 James Thomas Burgess
  • 1906-1924 John Wilton Braund
  • 1925-1928 John H. O’Toole
  • 1929-1933 James Edward Shepherd
  • 1933-          William Henry Timson
  • 1954-1962  Bill Layton
  • 1967-          Eric & Irene Heard
  • 1980-1992  Harry & Margaret Shean
  • 1992-1993  Andy & Karen Smith
  • 1993-1993  Clive Chippington
  • 1993-          Tony & Mavis Tait
  • 2007-          Mark & Linda Henson
  • 2009-2010 ** Closed*
  • 2010-2013  Becky Gawn

 

  • Margaret and Harry Shean pulled their last pints at the Captain Fryatt after nearly 13 years in the village. ” We will miss our customers and the friendliness around here”. The couple were presented with a pair of crystal vases and a crystal table lamp, they also received a crystal clock from the darts team.

 

A number of different people were involved with pubs. Your ancestor may have undertaken one or more of these tasks.

Photo Gallery

Click “play” to start the gallery slide show.

Iris & Arthur Andrews
Alfred Kendal
William & Kit Ingram
Lydia Whitnall
Bill Chambers
Anne & Edward Ellis
Mark Stansall
Bessie Chambers
Stan & Rose Greenwood
Dennis Noseley
Margaret & Barry Mackness
Steve Clark
Nick may
 Robert & Teresa Ranson
Iris & Arthur Andrews                        Alfred Kendal                     William & Kit Ingram                             Lydia Whitnall Bill Chambers Anne & Edward Ellis        Mark Stansall                        Bessie Chambers Stan & Rose Greenwood                         Dennis Noseley                        Margaret & Barry Mackness       Steve Clark Nick may           Robert & Teresa Ranson
Iris & Arthur Andrews
The Globe

 

We are adding more information to this site on a regular basis, if you wish to submit any photos or provide any information on Landlords and Landladies, then please use the contact page at the bottom of the screen.

 

Copyright: We attempted to get the consent of copyright holders to use this material for nearly all of the photographs on the website. In the few cases where names are available, a thorough search was made using telephone directories, photographic copyright directories, People Search and Google Area Search. None of the copyright owners could be traced in this way and we believe we have exhausted all reasonable avenues. The consensus opinion of these authorities was that if any two of the following situations applied we would be deemed to have taken sufficient action to avoid infringing copyright laws:  No financial gain will be made in relation to the photos.  The website owner undertakes to remove any photograph from the website where offence is caused. All the above conditions have therefore been met.